Banksy banana mastermind?

Banksy banana mastermind?
image from beglen

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Blogging

Blogging, (jlogging) or logging?

I'll take what I can get - any chance to make a record of something and get it published.Why publish? I like reading the records that others make, thus it makes sense that I want to share my own records.

A record is something that is documented. It could be a photo, a video, a news article, an essay or poetry. A record is something that is saved, something that represents part of life.

I do not know why I feel this compulsion to document things and make records.

Last December I split from my girlfriend of 18 months. I've kept all of the little things from our relationship - a couple love notes, a few birthday cards, the half-finished quilt she made me. Even though we had many fun times together, it was absolutely the right decision to split. Does this mean that I want to erase that part of my life - to forget everything? Not a chance. I want the record.

Don't get me wrong - there is a time and place for documenting.

There are those who can't stop snapping pictures with their phones - living their entire life just to upload it to a social networking site. I feel bad for them. Their desire to document (or, in my opinion, advertise) their every waking moment, means they miss out on the simplicity of being present. A few years back, I went on a long cycling trip across the country. The trip, which started in Brooklyn, New York and ended in Vancouver, BC via Jasper, Prince George and Prince Rupert, lasted nearly three months. The day before I left, my camera broke. The handful of photos that I have of the solo trip are those that others took of me along the way and later emailed to me. All of the incredible images, mountain ranges and scenes that I witnessed are only documented in my brain. I did, however, keep a journal for every day. Looking back, I would rather have the journal over any photos.

So what does this all mean? Not a whole lot, I suppose. I think for me, my biggest fear in life is not living it to the fullest. Documentation - either via brain memory, computer memory or a pen and paper - seems like a good way to hold myself accountable for living.

No comments:

Post a Comment